"Colton's Michigan", Colton, G.W. & C.B.
Period: 1870 (dated)
Color: Hand Color
12.8 x 15.4 inches
32.5 x 39.1 cm
The pocket map edition is on fine banknote style paper. The map is dated 1855 and shares Colton's scrollwork border with maps from the 1850's. The map is very detailed showing political boundaries, cities and villages, watershed and lakes. The extensive network of railroads are in the lower half of the state, now just extending north to Leonard in Mecosta County and to Bay City on Saginaw Bay. Planned railway expansion is suggested by light lines. The legend locates Common Roads, Canals, etc. Blank verso. Folds into brown cloth embossed and gilt boards (3.5" x 4.7") with original yellow paper label on inside listing other maps and atlases available from the Colton firm.
The map is toned where pasted into the covers and with a few other spots. Along the lower margin are two toned areas related to the pasted section.