"Morea olim Peloponnesus", Blaeu, Willem
Period: 1640 (circa)
Color: Hand Color
19.8 x 16 inches
50.3 x 40.6 cm
The Peloponnesos peninsula in southern Greece was called Morea well into the 19th century. The narrow isthmus between the mainland and the peninsula on this map was bisected by the Corinth Canal, built in 1893, effectively turning the Peloponnesos peninsula into an island. The map is adorned with decorative strapwork cartouches and four sailing ships. Latin text on verso.
Faded original color on an evenly toned sheet with a repaired tear on the lower centerfold. The margins have a number of chips and some short tears, not affecting the map.