"[2 Land Sales Involving William "Cow" Cooper, Member of Austin's Old 300, and Enos Cooper]",
Subject: Republic of Texas, Land Deeds
Period: 1844-48 (dated)
Color: Black & White
This lot contains two deeds from the 1840's relating to land that was originally part of Austin's Colony.
The first deed (8.0 x 12.7") is dated October 22, 1844 with text beginning "The Republic of Texas County of Austin." The sale between relatives William Cooper and Enos Cooper included 1,222 acres of land for $1,000. The parcel was located along the border of Austin and Washington counties, having been previously granted to John Hodge by the Mexican government and "known as the general plot as league number four on the southwest side of the northeast fork of Mill Creek." Hodge subsequently sold the land to Thomas Borden, who sold it to William Cooper on April 14, 1835. Signed by William Cooper and J. Hillyard, Clerk of Austin County.
The second deed (7.5 x 12.3") is dated February 9, 1848 and details a sale between Enos Cooper and William Hensley. The sale was for a 284-acre section of the tract above for $1,000 (same price for less than a quarter of the land sold only four years later). The deed specified that payment consisted of $100 down and a note for "seventeen cows and calves or good gentle heifers." Signed by Cooper, Hensley, and Sam Lusk, Clerk of Washington County.
William "Cow" Cooper, along with his wife Sarah (James), moved from Tennessee to Texas in 1822. He was a member of the Old 300, having been awarded 1.5 leagues of land (6,642 acres) in Waller County and additional land in Austin County. According to the 1826 census of Austin's Colony, he was a married farmer with 5 children, 2 servants and 3 slaves at the time. Cooper served in the Texas Revolution and furnished military supplies and horses for Sam Houston's army.
Documents have light toning and staining and remnants of cello tape along the top sheet edges. Both are folding with some minor paper loss at the junctions, but no loss of image.