"[Map in Book] Diocese of Fredericton [in] Annals of the Diocese of Fredericton", Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (SPCK)
Subject: Eastern Canada
Period: 1847 (published)
Color: Black & White
8.1 x 10.8 inches
20.6 x 27.4 cm
This handsome map shows the Diocese of Fredericton, an ecclesiastical province of the Church of England in New Brunswick, Canada. According to figures on the map, the diocese covers an area of 26,000 square miles with a population of 206,601, all served by just 41 clergy. Churches are marked by little crosses. Beneath the title is a coat of arms that notes that the diocese's first bishop (John Medley) was consecrated in 1845. The map is bound in a 74-page book by Ernest Hawkins that describes the history of the diocese. The frontispiece depicts the Fredericton Cathedral, which was still under construction at the time of publication. Hardbound in brown cloth with embossed design and gilt title on cover. Published by the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge.
The Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (more commonly known as SPCK) is the oldest Anglican mission organization, founded in 1698 by Thomas Bray. From its earliest days SPCK commissioned tracts and pamphlets, making it the third oldest publishing house in England (closely following the Oxford and Cambridge University Presses). They published a broad range of material including pamphlets aimed at specific groups such as farmers, prisoners, soldiers, seamen, servants, and slave-owners, general religious works, devotional literature, and, from the 1830s onwards, on general educational topics.
The map is folding with a tiny binding tear that has been closed on verso and a few faint spots of foxing. Text is very good with light toning along the edges and some minor scattered foxing especially concentrated near the beginning and end of the book. Covers are slightly bumped and lightly sunned along edges and spine.