One of the Earliest Maps Dedicated to New Mexico Territory
"Morley's Map of New Mexico Compiled from the Latest Government Surveys and Other Reliable Sources",
Subject: New Mexico
Period: 1873 (dated)
Color: Hand Color
24.8 x 24.2 inches
63 x 61.5 cm
This early, privately-issued map of the territory was prepared by William Morley and published by Harry Whigham and G.A. Bushnell in Cimarron, New Mexico. Streeter notes that "this is the first privately published map relating only to New Mexico listed in Phillips." Among the many important details on the map, Morley documents the private land grants in the northern portion of the territory including Montoya, Nolan, Mora, Beck, Anton Chico, and Maxwell Grants that were held over from when the region was under Mexican control. The maps also notes the numerous proposed railroads criss-crossing the territory including the Texas Pacific, Atlantic & Pacific, Cimarron & Rio Grande, Western & Central, as well as the surveyed route of the Arkansas Valley and Cimarron Railroad. Wheat notes "other proposed lines appear in northeastern New Mexico, but nowhere do we set a projected line of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, the first road actually to build into New Mexico from Colorado." Other important details include the location of Indian Reservations, extent of public surveying along the Rio Grande, and the emergence of discovered mineral deposits including gold mines in the Maxwell Grant and "Silver City" in Grant County. Originally issued with boards (not present) and a publishers slip indicating the map was "for sale by all booksellers in New Mexico, Colorado, and Kansas." A highly desirable map for any New Mexico or Southwestern collection.
References: Wheat (TMW) #1242; Phillips (Maps) p. 495; Streeter #470.
Issued folding and now flat with archival repairs to a 3" tear near the center of the image (above Fort Craig), an edge tear that extends 2" into the image at bottom, and two short edge tears confined to the top blank margin. There is light toning at left where the map originally folded into its covers, and the side borders have been partially trimmed. A few minor manuscript notations are mostly confined to the top blank margin.