Mouzon's Foundation Map of the Carolinas - Second State
"An Accurate Map of North and South Carolina with Their Indian Frontiers, Shewing in a Distinct Manner All the Mountains, Rivers, Swamps, Marshes, Bays, Creeks, Harbours, Sandbanks and Soundings on the Coasts...", Mouzon, Henry, Jr.
Subject: Colonial Southeast United States
Period: 1775 (dated)
Publication: Jeffery's The American Atlas...
Color: Hand Color
55.8 x 39.6 inches
141.7 x 100.6 cm
This rare map is one of the foundation maps of the Carolinas. It was used by both American and British forces during the American Revolution and remained the major source of information on the region for the next fifty years. It is exceptionally detailed, with very meticulously noted roads, farms, forts, parishes, bridges, Indian paths, and boundaries. The coastlines include sailing directions, notations on currents, and soundings. Pamtiko (Pamlico) Sound is especially well charted from entrances at Cape Hatteras and the Roanoke Inlet. In North Carolina, Tryon County and Pelham County (later Sampson) appear for the first time. The topography west of the Catawba River is more detailed and accurate than on any previous map. In South Carolina, Mouzon's sophisticated and thorough cartography extends from the eastern settlements into the Appalachian Mountains and the Cherokee lands on the western frontier. The inset maps located on the lower sheet include The Harbour of Port Royal, and The Bar and Harbour of Charlestown. This latter inset includes the location of Fort Sullivan, indicating this is the second state of the map and issued in 1776. Printed on four sheets and joined. Engraved by Samuel Turner Sparrow and published by Sayer & Bennett.
References: Cumming (SE) #450; Pritchard & Taliaferro #44; Schwartz & Ehrenberg pp. 186-87; Sellers & Van Ee #1394; cf. Stevens & Tree #11a.
Contemporary outline color on sturdy watermarked paper that has been backed with tissue to reinforce and repair several fold separations. Light dampstains are visible along the center joint and top sheet edge, with a small area of loss (approximately 1.25" at its widest point and 2.5" long) at left in "Ninety Six Precinct" and a repaired 2.5" tear above it. There are a number of small repaired edge tears and chips, most notably in the top corners and a 5.5" section along the right sheet edge with border replaced in facsimile.