Period: 1550 (circa)
Color: Hand Color
4.2 x 5.8 inches
10.7 x 14.7 cm
The origins of liturgical music traditionally date back to St. Gregory the Great (d. 604), who was inspired by the Holy Dove to record the principles of 'Gregorian' chant. The Gradual contained the musical parts of the Missal and was sung from the steps (gradus) of the altar. The Antiphoner contained the musical sections of the Breviary. These terms have become interchangeable in modern times. Because of their size and complexity, these manuscripts were still being handmade in the traditional way for centuries after the introduction of printing. They were boldly hand-written and illuminated on large sheets of sturdy vellum so that the entire choir could read from one book.
A very nice leaf from a small antiphonary, a book used in divine services to sing the psalms. Generally these antiphonaries are large books, so that they could be used by a choir. This leaf is from a smaller version, called a Processional, which was used during a procession on feast days. It is written on a fine piece of vellum with the staves in black ink and several large initials in red, black and blue ink. This leaf includes part of the hymn from the Song of the Sisters. Beginning with the large "H" on verso, the text translates as:
In the fallacious enemy she believed, Eve, consenting with it.
The offspring she hadn't born she subjected to dire death...
Light soiling with some show-through from verso.