"Le Bresil, dont la Coste est Possedee par les Portugais. Et Divisee en Quatorze Capitaineries...", Sanson, Nicolas
Period: 1700 (circa)
Publication: Description de Tout l'Univers
Color: Hand Color
10.6 x 7.8 inches
26.9 x 19.8 cm
This is a reduced version of Sanson's important map showing the Portuguese possessions in Brazil. The coastal regions were divided by the Portuguese Crown into fourteen Capitaineries, or hereditary harbor offices. The holders of these grants, called donees (donatários), were responsible for their defense and development. There are a number of rivers that appear in the interior. The mythical Lago de los Xarayes appears at left and the otherwise unknown interior is conveniently covered by the garland-style title cartouche. Although his imprint does not appear on this map, this map was re-engraved from Sanson's 1657 map by Antoine de Winter.
Sanson's small maps from his L'Amerique en Plusieurs Cartes..., first published in 1656 and engraved by A. Peyrounin, were copied several times by various map publishers. Johann David Zunners made copies of Sanson's maps for his German translation of Die Gantze Erd-Kugel in 1679. Johannes Ribbius and Simon de Vries published copies in 1682 and 1683, with new maps engraved by Antoine d'Winter. The plates were later sold to Francois Halma, who used them in 1699 and then again in 1705 with the titles re-engraved in Dutch. The titles on the d'Winter plates were re-engraved back into French, and then used by Nicholas Chemereau in 1715 and by Henri du Sauzet in 1738.
References: Pastoureau, SANSON II G.
A dark impression, issued folding on paper with the French Royal arms watermark and some light damp stains along the edges of the sheet.