Features Maps of Los Angeles & San Jose
"[Lot of 56 - U.S.D.A. Soil Maps]", U.S.D.A.
Subject: United States
Period: 1903 (published)
Color: Printed Color
6 x 9.5 inches
15.2 x 24.1 cm
Housed in a partial brown cloth case, this incomplete set contains 55 large folding maps (of a total of 78) from the 5th Report of the Field Operations of the Bureau of Soils, under the direction of Milton Whitney. Each of the maps has a legend identifying the various soil profiles which are overlaid on base maps provided by the Geological Survey. In addition to the soil types, the maps depict roads, railroads, cities and towns, county boundaries and topography via contour lines. Many desirable maps are included, such as Los Angeles (#78) and San Jose (#72). The full list of maps included is:
1. Soil Map, Amherst sheet, Massachusetts.
2. Soil Map, Springfield sheet, Massachusetts.
3. Soil Map, Syracuse sheet, New York.
4. Soil Map, Babylon sheet, New York.
5. Soil Map, Hempstead sheet, New York.
11. Soil Map, Craven sheet, North Carolina.
12. Soil Map, Asheville sheet, North Carolina.
13. Soil Map, Campobello sheet, South Carolina.
16. Soil Map, Fort Payne sheet, Alabama.
19. Soil Map, McNeill sheet, Mississippi.
22. Soil Map, Acadia Parish sheet, Louisiana.
24. Soil Map, Lufkin sheet, Texas.
25. Soil Map, Woodville sheet, Texas.
26. Soil Map, Jacksonville sheet, Texas.
28. Soil Map, Miller County sheet, Arkansas.
29. Soil Map, Pikeville sheet, Tennessee.
31. Soil Map, Scott County sheet, Kentucky.
33. Soil Map, Ashtabula sheet, Ohio.
34. Soil Map, Pontiac sheet, Michigan.
35. Soil Map, Madison County sheet, Indiana.
36. Soil Map, Sangamon County sheet, Illinois.
37. Soil Map, Johnson County sheet, Illinois.
38. Soil Map, Knox County sheet, Illinois.
39. Soil Map, Winnebago County sheet, Illinois.
43. Soil Map, Story County sheet, Iowa.
44. Soil Map, Cerro Gordo County sheet, Iowa.
45. Soil Map, Shelby County sheet, Missouri.
47. Soil Map, Russell sheet, Kansas.
48. Soil Map, Grand Island sheet, Nebraska.
49. Soil Map, Stanton sheet, Nebraska.
50. Soil Map, Brookings sheet, South Dakota.
51. Soil Map, Fargo sheet, North Dakota.
52. Soil Map, Jamestown sheet, North Dakota.
53. Soil Map, Blackfoot sheet, Idaho.
54. Soil Map, Idaho Falls sheet, Idaho.
55. Soil Map, Solomonsville sheet, Arizona.
56. Soil Map, Laramie sheet, Wyoming.
57. Alkali Map, Laramie sheet, Wyoming.
58. Underground water map, Laramie map, Wyoming.
59. Soil Map, San Luis Valley sheet, Colorado.
61. Soil Map, Provo sheet, Utah.
62. Soil Map, Goshen sheet, Utah.
63. Alkali Map, Provo sheet, Utah.
64. Alkali Map, Goshen sheet, Utah.
65. Underground water map, Provo map, Utah.
66. Underground water map, Goshen map, Utah.
67. Soil Map, Baker City sheet, Oregon.
68. Alkali Map, Baker City sheet, Oregon.
69. Black alkali map, Baker City sheet, Oregon.
70. Underground water map, Baker City sheet, Oregon.
71. Soil Map, Salem sheet, Oregon.
72. Soil Map, San Jose sheet, California.
73. Soil Map, Imperial sheet, California.
74. Alkali Map, Imperial sheet, California.
76. Alkali Map, Indio sheet, California.
78. Alkali Map, Los Angeles sheet, California.
The maps are good to very good with minor toning, some light damp staining, and occasional foxing. There are short fold separations on a number of the maps, as is common with these maps. Map #43 (Story County sheet, Iowa) is a bit crumpled along the right edge and map #25 (Woodville sheet, Texas) is crumpled at left with significant soiling at far left. The covers are well worn and slightly warped and the upper portion of the cloth case is detached. There is a printed list of maps that is also detached.