"Lower Egypt and the Adjacent Deserts, with a Part of Palestine; to Which Has Been Added the Nomenclature of the Roman Age", Delarochette, Louis Stanislas d'Arcy
Period: 1814 (dated)
Color: Hand Color
29.6 x 21.3 inches
75.2 x 54.1 cm
Originally published by William Faden in 1802, this is the second edition of this beautifully engraved map that spans from Arab's Gulf to the delta of the Nile and into the Holy Land. It extends to north of Mt. Carmel and south to well below Memphis to Atsieh, Adhroditopolis, and Ellahoun. There is fine detail throughout, with scores of villages located and named, and numerous roads, trails, and camel routes detailed and many named, for example "Derb el Fern - Upper Road belonging to the Haouatat Bedwins." The map is fully and very finely engraved in the deserts to simulate sand. It delineates the Lake of Menzaleh near the mouth of the Nile. At bottom left there are seven distance scales and a table that gives the translation for some common Arabic names.