"Lincolnshire", Morden, Robert
Subject: Eastern England
Period: 1695 (circa)
Publication: Camden's Britannia
Color: Hand Color
16.4 x 14.4 inches
41.7 x 36.6 cm
This county map of Lincolnshire shows the early road system, with the city of Lincoln located just to the left of center. The map is divided into Hundreds and displays interesting detail including the locations of buildings, rivers, bridges and parks. There is an attractive cartouche and three distance scales.
Morden was one of the first English cartographers to show longitudes measured from the meridian of St. Paul's Cathedral (shown in degrees at the bottom of the map) and time in minutes measure locally from the sun (shown at the top in Roman numerals). The roads on his maps are based on Ogilby's earlier survey. The Britannia was first published by historian William Camden (1551-1623) in 1586. After the publication of the final edition of Britannia in 1637, the work was not published again until 1695 when Gibson revised and translated the text from the original Latin and included fifty maps, mostly of the English counties, prepared by Robert Morden, replacing the outdated maps of Christopher Saxton.
References: Shirley (BL Atlases) T.CAMD-5a.
A crisp impression on a clean, bright sheet watermarked with the initials "MC." There are two tiny pinholes within the distance scales and a couple of short marginal tears that have been closed on verso with archival material.