"Jamaica", Tallis, John
Period: 1850 (circa)
Publication: Illustrated Atlas and Modern History of the World
Color: Hand Color
13.8 x 10.2 inches
35.1 x 25.9 cm
The maps from The Illustrated Atlas were first published in serial form to a target audience that led insular lives due to the expense and hardship of travel. All that changed as the progress of the nineteenth century brought swift and dramatic changes in public awareness of far away places. Tallis' maps no doubt played an important role in this dramatic awakening. These maps not only provided up-to-date geographical knowledge, but also used vignette views within the map's design to show the native people and their occupations, cities and points of interest. The maps hark back to a cartographic tradition from the Dutch mapmakers of the seventeenth century with finely engraved decorative borders. The maps were drawn and engraved by John Rapin with views drawn and engraved by a number of prominent artists. The maps were issued as a complete volume from 1851 until about 1865. Some of the maps were also published in other history books published by Tallis including British Colonies and, without the vignettes, in geographical dictionaries and encyclopedias until about 1880.
This attractive chart of the island includes good detail with the names of many villages and coastal features. It is sectioned into about 20 Administrative Divisions. The divisions of St. Dorothy, St. John, St. Thomas, Port Royal, and St. Davids have been absorbed by the 14 divisions we see today. The map features decorative borders, the seal of the colony, and five large and nicely rendered vignettes, which includes Port Royal Harbor, Kingston, Port Antonio, a sugar mill, and a flying fish. The vignettes were drawn by H. Winkles and engraved by W. Lacey, the map drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin.
A bright example with original color and very minor soiling.