"Moscow", SDUK Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge
Subject: Moscow, Russia
Period: 1836 (dated)
Color: Hand Color
14.1 x 12.7 inches
35.8 x 32.3 cm
The beginning of the nineteenth century saw a period of rapid market growth and innovation in the map publishing world. Increased literacy and public interest in new frontiers and colonies overwhelmed the market because it was oriented toward the small, affluent market of the previous century. With the intent to fill this void, The Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (SDUK) was founded in 1828 in London, by Lord Brougham and a group of men dedicated to the education of the aspiring working class and the Utilitarian ideal of 'Knowledge is Power.' The society produced an array of education materials, but the series of maps was one of their most successful ventures. A number of engravers and printers were used to produce the maps, which eventually exceed 200 sheets, and continued to be published after the Society as a whole ceased to function.
Handsome and boldly engraved plan of the city centered on the Kremlin names all major streets, many public places and buildings and details many fortified areas. The map is enhanced by the beautiful vignette of the Church of the Assumptions in the Kremlin and another large view of the city from Sparrow Hill. Drawn by W.B. Clarke, engraved by B.R. Davies and published by Baldwin & Cradock. Additional title in Cyrillic Russian.
Attractive hand coloring with occasional faint spots in the blank margins.