"Plan of the Town and Citadel of Fort Royal the Capital of Martinico. With the Bay of Cul de Sac Royal", Jefferys, Thomas
Subject: Fort-de-France, Martinique
Period: 1764 (circa)
Publication: The Natural and Civil History of the French Dominions in North and South America
Color: Hand Color
14.1 x 12.1 inches
35.8 x 30.7 cm
Thomas Jefferys was one of the most important English map publishers of the 18th century. His work included prints and maps of locations around the world, but his most notable maps are of North America and the West Indies. He began his career in the map trade in the early 1730s, working as an engraver for a variety of London publishers, and eventually setting up his own shop. In 1746, he was appointed Geographer to the Prince of Wales, and in 1760 he became Geographer to the King. These titles granted access to manuscripts and cartographic information held by the government. In the early 1760s he embarked on an ambitious project to produce a series of English county maps based on new surveys, but ran out of money and filed for bankruptcy in 1766. He then partnered with London publisher Robert Sayer, who reissued many of Jefferys plates and continued to issue new editions after Jefferys' death in 1771. Jefferys' American Atlas and the accompanying West-India Atlas, published post posthumously, are considered his most important cartographic works.
This map depicts the Bay of Fort-de-France (previously known as Fort Royal) on the western coast of Martinique, the initial site of the Invasion of Martinique by the British in January and February 1762. There is excellent detail of the topography, roads, and villages. There are several notations of the Capuchin Friars around Fort St. Louis (here called Fort Royal or the Citadel). An inset shows a bird's-eye plan of the fort. The map is attributed to Anne Claude Philippe de Caylus.
References: Shirley (BL Atlases) G.JEF-1a #15.
Issued folding with one extraneous vertical crease, now flattened . There are professional repairs to several minor separations along the folds and to a few small worm holes, which have been infilled.