"Insula D. Helenae Sacra Coeli Clementia et Aequabilitate...", Linschoten, Jan Juygen van
Subject: St. Helena
Period: 1589 (dated)
Color: Black & White
20 x 14.6 inches
50.8 x 37.1 cm
This elaborate profile view shows the small Atlantic island of St. Helena with Linschoten's fleet of ships in the foreground. The island was an important re-fueling stop for ships in the South Atlantic providing fresh water, fruit, and meat to the early explorers. Two large strapwork cartouches feature the Portuguese coat-of-arms and a dedication to the Fugger family of merchants and financiers. It is further embellished with a very fine compass rose that orients the view with north in the lower left corner. This is the original Linschoten engraving, not to be confused with the smaller view by De Bry.
A dark impression issued folding on watermarked paper with a small hole near center that has been archivally repaired, minor light offsetting, and one small rust spot on the ship at bottom right. There are a few tiny fold separations, including one along border at bottom that has been archivally repaired on recto. Remnants of hinge tape on verso.