"The Western Coast of Greenland from Balls River to the Ice-Glance", Crantz, David
Period: 1767 (circa)
Color: Hand Color
9.1 x 6.6 inches
23.1 x 16.8 cm
This handsome small map depicts the western coast of Greenland from New Herrnhut at the mouth of Ball's River (now known as Nuup Kangerlua), down to the "ice glance" just south of Lichtenfels. New Herrnhut was established in 1747 by Moravian missionaries, and eventually developed into Nuuk, the present-day capital of Greenland. The missionaries founded Lichtenfels soon thereafter, which later became Akunnat, located near the trading post of Fisher's Inlet. Two small insets depict bird's-eye plans of New Herrnhut and Lichtenfels. The rococo title cartouche features birds, a mountain goat, and looming icebergs in the background.
A nice impression on watermarked paper with attractive color and a hint of toning. Issued folding, now pressed.