Rare Manuscript Map Depicting Natural Gas Lines
"Map of the Distributing System in Ohio of the Logan Natural Gas & Co. and Other Underlying Companies of the Union Natural Gas Corporation",
Period: 1908 (dated)
Color: Black & White
40.2 x 69.9 inches
102.1 x 177.5 cm
This rare, large format map of the state depicts the natural gas lines of the Union Natural Gas Corporation from Mt. Vernon south to Newark and the "Sugar Grove Pump Station." The line extends west to Dayton and east to West Virginia. During the 19th century, natural gas was used primarily for street lamps. However, with new gas discoveries at the end of the century, the infrastructure was quickly built out and the fuel was positioned as a resource for cooking and warming homes. Drawn in manuscript on thin oilcloth on a detailed scale of 4 miles per inch by B.A. Magrew.
The Logan Natural Gas Company was established in 1894 and purchased by Union Natural Gas in 1902. In 1915, Union would become part of Columbia Gas, which is a large utility operating today in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia and Maryland.
A dark impression with minor soiling and a small tape stain at lower left.