"[References to the Above Sketch of Fort Du Quesne, Now Pittsburgh, with the Adjacent Country]", Anon.
Subject: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Period: 1759 (published)
Publication: The London Magazine
Color: Black & White
3.9 x 4.1 inches
9.9 x 10.4 cm
This small map is one of the earliest to name Pittsburgh and is included in the January 1759 issue of the London Magazine. It identifies fourteen locations including the Monongahela River, Alleghany River, Fort Du Quesne and a few Indian tribes. Arrows drawn on the map indicate the flow of the rivers. In November of 1758, British General Forbes' army seized control of the fort and surrounding vicinity and renamed it "Pittsburg." A letter of his account is found on page 42 of the issue. Also included is an attractive frontispiece and title page for the 1759 year.
References: Jolly #LOND-158; cf. Wheat & Brun #421.
Very light toning and minor soiling primarily in the blank margins.