"Plan of the Town and Harbour of St. Augustin", Jefferys, Thomas
Subject: St. Augustine, Florida
Period: 1762 (circa)
Publication: A Description of the Spanish Islands...
Color: Hand Color
11.6 x 8 inches
29.5 x 20.3 cm
Thomas Jefferys was one of the most important English map publishers of the 18th century. His work included prints and maps of locations around the world, but his most notable maps are of North America and the West Indies. He began his career in the map trade in the early 1730s, working as an engraver for a variety of London publishers, and eventually setting up his own shop. In 1746, he was appointed Geographer to the Prince of Wales, and in 1760 he became Geographer to the King. These titles granted access to manuscripts and cartographic information held by the government. In the early 1760s he embarked on an ambitious project to produce a series of English county maps based on new surveys, but ran out of money and filed for bankruptcy in 1766. He then partnered with London publisher Robert Sayer, who reissued many of Jefferys plates and continued to issue new editions after Jefferys' death in 1771. Jefferys' American Atlas and the accompanying West-India Atlas, published post posthumously, are considered his most important cartographic works.
This uncommon copper-engraved map details the fortifications of St. Augustine with good information on the layout of the town and fort and the soundings in the entrance to the harbor. St. Augustine is the oldest European city in the United States. Juan Menendez de Aviles established the first settlement nearly a half century before the first English settlers landed at Jamestown. St. Augustine grew to become the Spanish center of power in North America for almost 200 years. Shortly after the publication of this map, the Seven Years' War ended with the Treaty of Paris, giving the British control of the city. With rhumb lines and a fleur-de-lys orienting north to the right. Engraved by Jefferys.
References: Phillips (A) #3941-16.
A nice impression on watermarked paper with light soiling confined to the blank margins.