"Karte von dem Eilande S. Thomas [on sheet with] Karte von der Bay und Insul von Mozambik", Anon.
Subject: Sao Tome & Mozambique Islands, Africa
Period: 1750 (circa)
Color: Hand Color
15.4 x 8.9 inches
39.1 x 22.6 cm
This manuscript map depicts two islands on one sheet, both of which were under Portuguese control through the end of the 19th century. The first is a map of the island of Sao Tome (S. Thomas) in the Gulf of Guinea, located off the coast of Gabon in western Africa. Several mountain ranges are depicted in the interior of this volcanic island, and many locations are named along the coastline. Although the island is actually located just north of the equator, this map depicts the equator running through the island's center. Sao Tome, along with the neighboring island of Principe, is an island nation and the smallest Portuguese-speaking country.
The second is a chart of Mozambique Island and Mossuril Bay, which separates the island from the mainland of Mozambique in western Africa. Fort Sao Sebastiao, built by the Portuguese in the sixteenth century, is depicted on the island in addition to the town center. The chart shows safe anchorages, soundings, shoals and other navigational hazards. The island is also home to the oldest European building in the southern hemisphere, the Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Baluarte, built in 1522.
Drawn on heavy paper with a few damp stains and a small crack in the first "n" in "Golf von Guinea" that has been backed in archival tape. Trimmed to neatlines.