"A New and Accurate Map of the Kingdom of Hungary and Principality of Transilvania with the Bordering Countries…", Bowen, Emanuel
Period: 1747 (circa)
Publication: A Complete System of Geography…
Color: Hand Color
16.5 x 13.5 inches
41.9 x 34.3 cm
This finely engraved map of Hungary extends to Belgrade and part of Romania. The map is filled with detail and notations and shows an extensive systems of roads. The Banat of Temeswar in the southern portion of Hungary, was established by the Treaty of Passarowitz in 1718, in which the Ottoman Empire ceded the region to the Habsburg Monarchy of Austria. The southern part of the Banat of Temeswar was again ceded back to the Ottomans in the Treaty of Belgrade in 1739. The decorative title cartouche features two military officers, flags and weaponry. "No. 32" engraved below neatline at left.
References: McCorkle (18th C. Geography Books) #17-28; Shirley (BL Atlases) T.BOW-2b.
A nice impression with small archival repairs on paper edges.