"Carmagnoli Ingenomen in 1691. Door Syn H't den Pr. Eugenus van Savoye…",
Period: 1729 (published)
Publication: Jean Dumont’s Histoire Militaire du Prince Eugene de Savoye…
Color: Black & White
32 x 19.5 inches
81.3 x 49.5 cm
This detailed engraving shows a bird's-eye view of the walled city of Carmagnola and nearby villages. Carmagnola is located in Piedmont Province in northwest Italy, southeast of Torino (Turin). This area had been allied with France and Italy at various times. This view shows the fortified town when it was retaken by Prince Eugene of Savoy in 1691 after being occupied by the Marshal of France, Nicolas Catinat. It is precisely engraved to show minute detail of both the city and the surrounding countryside - even showing the vineyard trellises. The title banner and the map key are in both French and Dutch, as Dumont’s history was published in both languages. Engraved by Jan van Huchtenburg, who accompanied Prince Eugene on his campaigns and painted and engraved all the important battles.
There are four small separations at bottom which have been repaired with archival tape and paper on verso.