"Dresden", SDUK Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge
Subject: Dresden, Germany
Period: 1833 (dated)
Color: Hand Color
14.8 x 12 inches
37.6 x 30.5 cm
The beginning of the nineteenth century saw a period of rapid market growth and innovation in the map publishing world. Increased literacy and public interest in new frontiers and colonies overwhelmed the market because it was oriented toward the small, affluent market of the previous century. With the intent to fill this void, The Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (SDUK) was founded in 1828 in London, by Lord Brougham and a group of men dedicated to the education of the aspiring working class and the Utilitarian ideal of 'Knowledge is Power.' The society produced an array of education materials, but the series of maps was one of their most successful ventures. A number of engravers and printers were used to produce the maps, which eventually exceed 200 sheets, and continued to be published after the Society as a whole ceased to function.
A handsome plan of Dresden showing the newer city surrounding the old, fortified town, with the Elbe River winding through. Elevations of the major buildings and the Elbe Bridge are at bottom. Drawn by W.B. Clarke, engraved by W. Henshall and published by Baldwin & Cradock.
Original color with light toning in blank margins and one faint spot in map image near bottom center.