"Map of the Vicinity of Richmond, and Part of the Peninsula. From Surveys Made by the Order of Maj. Gen. J. F. Gilmer Chief Engineer, C.S.A.", Gilmer, Jeremy Francis
Subject: Richmond, Virginia
Period: 1866 (published)
Publication: Life and Campaigns of General Robert E. Lee
Color: Black & White
17 x 26.5 inches
43.2 x 67.3 cm
This scarce map, published just after the Civil War, is a variant of the Campbell map (Map of the Vicinity of Richmond and Part of the Peninsula), of which the sole known example resides in the Hargett Library at the University of Georgia). The Campbell map includes a backwards N and S in directional arrow, which do not appear on this version. The map shows the region bounded on the north by Hanover Junction and the North Anna River, on the east by the Pamunkey River and in the south by the James River well below Richmond. The map extends with less detail to Petersburg. There are individual land holdings identified by name, wagon roads, trails and churches. Near the southeast corner is Sherwood Forest, home of President Tyler. The railroads named are the City Point, Clover Hill, Richmond and Petersburg and three other unnamed rails originating from Richmond and traveling north and east.
At the beginning of the war, General Robert E. Lee had few up-to-date maps to provide his commanders, nor did he have the equipment to survey and reproduce a large volume of maps. Major General Jeremy Francis Gilmer, the Chief Engineer for the Confederate States of America, undertook the task of providing the needed maps. Like the Hotchkiss maps mainly done in western Virginia, Gilmer's, done mainly in eastern and central Virginia, are extremely detailed and accurate. The present map is an example of Gilmer's efforts near Richmond.
Minor toning along with some loss in the upper left margin. Foxing in lower margin. Issued folding.