"City of San Francisco and its Vicinity California", U.S. Coast Survey
Subject: San Francisco, California
Period: 1853 (published)
Color: Black & White
17.8 x 25.4 inches
45.2 x 64.5 cm
The Office of Coast Survey is the oldest U.S. scientific organization, dating from 1807 when Congress directed that a "survey of the coast" be carried out. By 1836, it was called the U.S. Coast Survey and in 1878, the name was changed to the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. Today the Office of Coast Survey is a division of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration NOAA.
The survey teams, composed of civilians as well as Army and Naval officers, charted the nation's waterways and produced a wide array of reports, survey charts, hydrographic studies of tides and currents, astronomical studies and observations, and coastal pilots. These charts are an important record of the changing nature of the nation's coastlines. In additional to coastal charts, the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey produced land sketches, Civil War battle maps, and the early aeronautical charts.
This early plan of the city of San Francisco covers the region from North Point to Mission de Delores and to Point San Quentin. The city plan was derived from a number of sources, including Eddy's official map of the city and the now rare map by Cooke and Le Count, with topography by A.F. Rodgers. The streets are clearly laid out and named with detail down to individual buildings and contour lines at 20 ft. intervals showing elevation. Buildings are shown in black along the streets in both San Francisco and Mission de Dolores, and Plank Road connects the two communities. A key indicates sixteen public buildings and fifteen reservoirs and numerous notes describe the soundings and navigational hazards.
Folding as issued with minimal offsetting in image.