"Wisconsin, a Sectional Map with the Most Recent Surveys", Hale & Chapman
Period: 1846 (dated)
Color: Black & White
22 x 23 inches
55.9 x 58.4 cm
This is the first edition of this map compiled from the surveys of Increase A. Lapham. A self-educated engineer and naturalist, Lapham was deputy surveyor of the Territory of Wisconsin. It has the distinction of being the first map of Wisconsin drawn by a Wisconsin citizen and published in Wisconsin. Issued at the same time Wisconsin petitioned for statehood, this map contains a wealth of information including the locations of several lead and copper mines. It shows the southern part of the territory well settled with a good network of roads. The region north of the Wisconsin River is just beginning to be surveyed and is mostly unsettled. The Oneida Indian Reservation to the southwest of Green Bay is located. It is printed on fine banknote quality paper, and issued in pocket map format, lacking covers. Copyright at bottom, 1846 by P.C. Hale in the Clerks Office of the District Court of the Territory of Wisconsin. There are no dealer or auctions sales records for issues earlier than 1855.
Silas Chapman was an important Midwestern map publisher during the period of rapid expansion in the region (1850-1875). When he first arrived in Wisconsin he was an educator, co-editor of the Milwaukee Sentinel, and publisher of the Milwaukee Herald. He then turned his interests to book-selling, stationery, bookbinding and printing, at first in partnership with Philetus C. Hale and after 1850 alone. He was best known as a publisher of county, city, railroad, and geological maps focusing specifically on the states of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Illinois. Upon his retirement the Chapman firm was acquired by Dyer and Pasmore, who continued to update and republish his maps into the 1880s.
References: Phillips (M) p. 1076.
Some paper loss along folds has been professionally infilled with the leaf casting method with excellent facsimile of some grid lines. Paper damage where bound at left has also been repaired with facsimile of the border. A superb work of conservation on an extremely rare map.