"Boston Harbor", Walker Lithograpic & Publishing Co.
Subject: Boston, Massachusetts
Period: 1920-23 (circa)
Color: Printed Color
21 x 12 inches
53.3 x 30.5 cm
This terrific bird's-eye pocket map is a later edition than we've previously seen based on the very early reference to Logan Airport, here simply labeled "Airport." The airport was first known as Jefferies Field which opened in 1923. At this point it contains no runways, simply an open field so our guess is this pre-dates the official opening. The map also shows more land reclamation from earlier issues. The William T. Morrissey Blvd is under construction with its road-bed roughly graded including fill across the harbor to the south of Old Harbor. The boulevard, completed in 1924, follows the bed of the Old Colony Railroad and was originally named Old Colony Parkway. The map extends from the coastal area of East and South Boston across the water to the main ship channel and the Boston Light. It locates Winthrop, Thompson's Island, Moon Island, Deer Island, Nahant, Green Island, the Brewster Islands, Strawberry Hill, Fort Warren, Hough's Neck and much more. The Fore River Ship & Engine Co. is on the distant horizon. Steamer routes to Nantasket Beach, Nahant, Winthrop and more are identified. Obviously designed for the tourist trade, this fine single-tint (blue) stone lithographic map folds into paper covers entitled "Bird's-Eye View of Boston Harbor." On the back cover is an extensive list of maps available from Walker Lith. & Pub. Co. The cover lists the cost at 10¢. Walker's maps were often sold as advertising maps under another name, most notably by the Union News Co.
Virtually as fresh as the day it was issued. Remarkable, flawless condition.