"[Lot of 5 - Virginia, Civil War]", Bowen & Co., John T.
Period: 1862 (dated)
Color: Black & White
This is a fascinating set of Civil War battle maps that were produced by Maj. Gen. John Pope for his contribution to the 1863 report to Congress's Joint Committee of the War Department. The lot includes the following maps:
1) Map of the Field Operations of the Army of Virginia During the Months of July and August 1862 (16.5 x 14.3"). The largest map in the set, it shows the area from Charlottesville to Washington DC. Split on one fold at upper left, closed on verso with archival tape on verso. (B)
2) Battlefield of Manassas, Va. Close of the Action August 29th 1862 (8.8 x 6.3"). Good topographical detail with forests, creeks and some farmland.
3) Map Showing the Positions of Both Armies August 27th 1862 at Night (9 x 5.8"). Locates Gen. Pope's Headquarters and the position of Gen. Lee's troops.
4) Position of Troops at Sunset August 28th 1862 (8.8 x 6.2"). Shows the tremendous troop movement from the previous day shown in map #3.
5) Battlefield of Cedar Mountain August 9th 1862 (6.1 x 8.8"). Shows the positions of Ewell, Hill and Jackson's Divisions. Long split on one fold. (B)
References: Stephenson (CW) #465.67; 573.5; 573.7; 573.5; 526.5.
Folded as issued with occasional fold toning except as noted above.