"[Lot of 8 - Civil War in Tennessee]", Ruger, Edward
Period: 1875 (published)
Publication: History of the Army of the Cumberland
Color: Printed Color
Eight maps by Edward Ruger illustrating the various battles in Tennessee from the atlas of Van Horne's "History of the Army of the Cumberland." Ruger worked for the Topographical Engineers and had access to the War Department maps and plans in the production of these finely detailed and well engraved maps. Each shows highly detailed troop actions and movements with color overprinting. Published by Robert Clarke & Co., and printed by the Krebs Lithographing Co., Cincinnati. A nice matched lot of Civil War maps.
1) Map Exhibiting the Chattanooga & East Tennessee Campaigns…U.S. Grant…A.E. Burnside. A little toning along one fold with some archival tape repair on verso and a tear into map with archival tape on verso. (18.5 x 16.5")
2) Map Exhibiting the Operations of the Armies of the Cumberland and Ohio…under…Brig. Gen. Robert Anderson…Brig. Gen. (now General) W.T. Sherman and Maj. Gen. D.C. Buell. Toned along centerfold with weakness and some tape repairs on verso along this line. (18.6 x 16.5")
3) Map of the Battlefields in Front of Nashville…Maj. Gen. G.H. Thomas…Commanding Rebel Forces, Gen. J.B. Hood. Dec. 15th & 16th 1864. (8.8 x 8")
4) Battlefield of Chattanooga…under the command of Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant during the battles of Nov. 23, 24 & 25, 1863. Fine less a very short tear at edge into border, close on verso with archival tape. (8 x 9.5")
5) Map of the Field of Shiloh…Maj. Genl. U.S. Grant, U.S. Vols…Maj. Genl. D.C. Buell, U.S. Vols. on the 6th and 7th of April, 1862. (5 x 8")
6) Map of the Country between Monterey, Tenn. And Corinth, Miss…Maj. Gen. Halleck in their advance upon Corinth in May 1862. (6.5 x 8")
7) Map of the Battle of Chickamauga…Maj. Gen. W.S. Roecrans ... General Braxton Bragg. September 19th and 20th 1863. (8 x 5")
8) Battlefield in Front of Franklin, Tenn…Maj. Gen. J.M. Schofield…Lt. Gen. Hood. November 30th 1864. (5 x 8")
Maps on clean bright paper with strong color and impression. All fine (A+) except as noted in description.