"Map of the Country Adjacent to the Left Bank of the Rio Grande below Matamoros", U.S. War Department
Period: 1847 (dated)
Publication: 31st Cong., 1st Sess, Sen. Ex. Doc. No. 65
Color: Black & White
19.5 x 26 inches
49.5 x 66 cm
This topographical map was created by Lieut. John D. Webster with assistance from T.E. Mullomny. It details a strategic portion of the Rio Grande from Matamoros to Boca Chica at the southernmost tip of Texas, an area with significance in the Mexican-American War. Details includes forts, camps, roads and towns, topography by hachure, vegetation, and numerous soundings in the Rio Grande. Fort Brown is located across the Rio Grande from Matamoros. Along the Gulf are located Padre Island, Clark's Island, Brazo Santiago, and Port Isabel. The small settlements of Falcone, Burgos, Tres Quilas, Arenal and Burrita are located along the Rio Grande, to mention a few. Drawn on the scale of one inch per mile, accounting for the remarkable level of detail.
Folding as issued with toning along most folds, an area of toning, and some offsetting from the early, strong impression. On surprisingly sound paper with no fold splits and full margins. Long 5" binding trim tear closed on verso with archival tape.