"Colton's New Township Map of the Western Counties of Pennsylvania", Colton, G.W. & C.B.
Period: 1880 (dated)
Color: Hand Color
27 x 36.7 inches
68.6 x 93.2 cm
This map individually colors each township and depicts roads, towns and villages, rivers, railroads and topography. It shows the contrast of the rural agricultural areas with industrialized Pittsburgh and the oil towns of Venango County including Oil City, Petroleum Centre and Sherman Wells - names that reflect the oil boom of the mid-1800s. Oil City became central in the petroleum industry while hosting headquarters for the Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Wolf's Head motor oil companies. Petroleum Centre was the site of oil wells controlled by the Pennsylvania Rock Oil Company, while Sherman Wells no longer exists. Pennsylvania was responsible for half of the world's production of oil until the East Texas oil boom of 1901. Printed on 2 sheets, joined as issued, and folding into 4" x 6" embossed and gilt brown cloth boards. Inside original paper label advertises the Colton brothers' other "Maps, Atlases & Guide-Books."
Minor foxing with one large split on fold and small separations at fold intersections; slight discoloration where map is pasted to cover. Covers worn with spine partially separated.