"Plegtigheden by het houden van 't Conclave en het verkiezen van eenen niewen Paus in gebruik", Tirion, Isaac
Period: 1758 (circa)
Color: Black & White
12.8 x 11.6 inches
32.5 x 29.5 cm
This interesting engraving illustrates the election of a new Pope. The series of twelve engravings are as follows:
1. The Cardinal Chamberlain calls the Pope by his name, three times and breaks the Papal ring.
2. First council of the Cardinals after the Pope’s death.
3. The body of the Pope is exhibited in the St. Peter and his feet are kissed by the pious.
4. The Cardinals go to the Conclave to elect a new Pope.
5. How the food for the Cardinals is brought into the Conclave.
6. How the food for the Cardinals is inspected.
7. Assembly of the Cardinals to elect a new Pope.
8. The Mass of the Holy Ghost before the election.
9. The daily routine of the Cardinals when they elect a new Pope.
10. How the new Pope is carried to the St. Peter with much pomp.
11. The first solemn adoration or greeting of the new Pope by the Cardinals.
12. Second adoration or solemn greeting of the Pope by the Cardinals.
Folding as issued.