"[Lot of 5 - Bible]", Wit, Frederick de
Period: 1730 (circa)
Publication: Historiae Sacrae Veteris & Novi Testamenti…
Color: Black & White
20 x 14 inches
50.8 x 35.6 cm
These five large engravings illustrate several stories in the Scriptures. The engravings for the Historiae Sacrae Veteris & Novi Testamenti were originally engraved by Pieter Schut based on the famous series of Bible illustrations by Matthias Merian. The copperplates went through a number of publishers' hands, finally being republished with De Wit's imprint in the early part of the 18th century by Reinier and Josua Ottens.
1) Cum Puero Ismaele Procul Dimittitur Hagar, quem Sara Haeredem Noluit Esse Suum. Genesis 21.
2) Plectentes Coronam de Spinis Posuerunt Super Caput Eius et Arundinem in Dextra Euis et Genu Flexo Ante eum Illudebant et. Matth. 27. Vers 28.
3) Maria Apportat Primogenitum in Templum, Simeon et Anna Testantur de Iesu. Luce Cap: II.
4) Christus Caecum Illuminat Lucae XVIII.
5) Quid inter Mortuos Quaeritis eum qui Vivit non est Hic, sed Suscitatus Est. Luce 24.
All sharp impressions with some soil and marginal defects. There is a pencil drawing on the verso of #1.