"Map of the Country Adjacent to the Left Bank of the Rio Grande below Matamoros", U.S. War Department
Period: 1847 (dated)
Publication: 31st Cong., 1st Sess, Sen. Ex. Doc. No. 65
Color: Black & White
18.5 x 25 inches
47 x 63.5 cm
This topographical map was created by Lieut. John D. Webster with assistance from T.E. Mullomny. It details a strategic portion of the Rio Grande from Matamoros to Boca Chica at the southernmost tip of Texas, an area with significance in the Mexican-American War. Details includes forts, camps, roads and towns, topography by hachure, vegetation, and numerous soundings in the Rio Grande. Fort Brown is located across the Rio Grande from Matamoros. Along the Gulf are located Padre Island, Clark's Island, Brazo Santiago, and Port Isabel. Along the Rio Grande the small settlements of Falcone, Burgos, Tres Quilas, Arena, Burrita are located to mention a few. The map is drawn on the scale of one inch per mile, accounting for the remarkable level of detail presented.
The map has a couple areas of very light offsetting visible in blank areas, otherwise near fine. Folding as issued with wide margins. A small area of roughness with some (binding?) holes at upper left margin. Report has light text offsetting, unopened with first page un-trimmed.