"Territory of New Mexico", General Land Office
Subject: New Mexico
Period: 1876 (dated)
Color: Black & White
24 x 29.3 inches
61 x 74.4 cm
Exploration and survey progress in the territory has progressed, but more than a decade after the close of the Civil War there are still vast areas that remain blank on this map. The majority of well surveyed regions lay along waterways, in particular from Taos and south along the Rio Grande Valley. The mining area around Silver City, and the valleys of the Canadian and Pecos Rivers are well mapped. In these areas there is good detail of wagon roads, settlements, springs and ranches. Names Aguaje de la Yegua, Bacon Springs, Reed's Ranch, Las Canaditas, Ojo de Leon, and Franklin to mention a few. All of the Pueblos are located and named. Many forts are also shown including Cummings, Stanton, Craig, Tularosa, Wingate, Butler, and the "Old" forts of Lowell, Filmore and West. Importantly the map locates many wells and watering holes. In the south is the proposed route of the Texas Pacific Railroad. It also delineates many early Spanish grants including Pablo Montoya, Mora, and the heirs of Baca. The map presents a large amount of historical information worthy of further study.
Folding as issued. Generally very clean with just a little toning resulting in fragile paper and two short splits.