"[Manuscript Map and Deed - Monkwearmouth]",
Period: 1837 (dated)
Color: Hand Color
25 x 20 inches
63.5 x 50.8 cm
This is a stupendous vellum deed of sale complete with the manuscript plan for the property described therein. The plan covers Monkwearmouth, an area of Sunderland located at the north side of the mouth of the River Wear. It was one of the three original settlements on the banks of the River Wear along with Bishopwearmouth and Sunderland, the area now known as the East End. It includes the area around St. Peter's Church and was once the main center of Wearside shipbuilding and coal mining in the town. The sale includes the property formally belonging to the Wearmouth Abbey and is between Samuel Peach Peach and Sir Hedworth Williamson, dated 1837. Deed and plan are bound together with original ribbon and include the tax stamps as well as the red wax seal of Hedworth Williamson.
The deed is legible and the map is in near perfect condition with only a bit of light surface soil and a faint damp stain at bottom.