"[Lot of 6 - Western Views]", Wheeler, George (Lt)
Subject: Western United States
Period: 1871-73 (dated)
Publication: U.S. Geographical Surveys West of the 100th Meridian
Color: Black & White
This lot of fine lithographs are part of Wheeler's important survey and exploration. The lot includes:
1) El Vado de los Padres, Colorado River. 1872. (15.3 x 6") This famous location is where Spanish priests with the Dominguez-Escalante expedition crossed the river in 1776, giving it the nickname "Crossing of the Fathers." This site has been under Lake Powell since 1964.
2) Crossing of the Colorado River near Mouth of Paria Creek. (Eastern Edge of the Grand Canon in the Distance.) 1873. (6 x 8.5")
3) Alpine Lake in the Sierra Nevada, near Camp Independence, Cala. 1871. (8.5 x 6")
4) Perched Rock. Rocker Creek, Arizona. (6 x 8")
5) Headwaters of Paria Creek from Rim of the Basin - Southern Utah. 1872. (8 x 5.8")
6) Beaver Park Valley of Conejos River, Colorado. (17 x 6")
All with full, original margins. Some with a little marginal foxing, images are fine.