"[Lot of 11 - American Scenery]", Bartlett, W. H.
Subject: Eastern United States Views
Period: 1837-1839 (published)
Publication: American Scenery
Color: Black & White
7 x 6 inches
17.8 x 15.2 cm
Nice set of steel engravings of U.S. interest from this renowned British publication. Each is on a full sheet (9 x 11") with wide margins. The lot includes the following.
1) Title page / Ascent to the Capitol, Washington. Marginal toning and a dog-eared corner.
2) View of the Capitol at Washington. An exceptional impression with the original tissue guard.
3) Colonade of Congress Hall. (Saratoga Springs)
4) State Street, Boston. Fine impression with layout lines evident just beneath image. Small stain at right margin.
5) Village of Catskill. With a large faint foxing stain at upper right.
6) View of New York, from Weehaken. With a large faint foxing stain at upper right and lower left.
7) View from Mount Holyoke.
8) Trenton Falls, View down the Ravine. Strong, early impression with the ink standing proud on the paper.
9) The Narrows from Staten Island.
10) Lockport, Erie Canal.
11) Niagara Falls. (From near Clifton House.) With a tear through upper margin into image, closed on verso with resulting water stain.
The engravings are all near fine except for an occasional marginal spot or stain. Most have three binding thread holes in wide inner margin. Exceptions noted above.