"[Lot of 5 - New Testament Engravings]",
Period: 1728 (published)
Publication: Figurres de la Bible
Color: Black & White
16.6 x 13.6 inches
42.2 x 34.5 cm
Striking group of copper engravings from the New Testament with captions in Hebrew, English, German, Latin, French and Dutch. The scenes illustrating Bible stories were drawn by Picart, Houbraken and Raphael, and published by Pierre de Hondt .
1) Matth. II, 16. Herod's cruelty against the Children in Bethlehem.
2) Matth. XIV, ii. The head of John the Baptist given to the daughter of Herodias.
3) Matth. XIV, 17. A Great multitude fed with five loaves and two fishes.
4) Matth. XXI, I. Christ's riding in triumph into Jerusalem.
5) Luc. V, 6. The miraculous draught of Fishes.
Sharp impressions on sturdy paper with minor soil in margins.