"Map Showing Property of South San Francisco Land and Improvement Co at South San Francisco San Mateo County California",
Subject: California, San Francisco
Period: 1907 (dated)
Color: Printed Color
33.5 x 26.8 inches
85.1 x 68.1 cm
A scarce land promotion map for the town of South San Francisco in San Mateo county, inset with a map of the entire peninsula. The map shows the areas of development including tidal areas. South San Francisco, incorporated in 1908, was also nicknamed the 'Industrial City.' The site for the city was selected by G.F. Swift and purchased by Peter Iler of Omaha in 1890 in order to replicate the cattle stockyards and marketplaces common in Omaha. They partnered with some Chicago backers and formed two joint stock corporations, one named South San Francisco Land and Improvement Company, while the other branch was known as the Western Meat Company. This region now is more residential, and is known for the number of biotech firms located there.
In good condition for a separately issued map. It has some scattered stains, short tears, and a few creases. There is a tear into the lower corner of the map about 4" that is repaired on the verso with archival tape.