"[Lot of 10 - Old Testament Engravings]", Lindenberg, Jacob
Period: 1721 (circa)
Color: Black & White
9.3 x 14.5 inches
23.6 x 36.8 cm
Nice lot of copper engraved illustrations of Bible stories with captions in Dutch text. Includes scenes from Daniel, Ezekiel, Isaiah. The pictures were drawn and engraved by the famous Dutch artist Romain de Hooghe, published by Jacob Lindenberg.
1) This dramatic sheet shows Dianel being tossed into the lion's den.
2) Two scenes from the Boof of Daniel, including Chapter 3, showing the gold idol of King Nebuchadnezzar. The bottom illustrates Chapter 5, in which King Belshazzar feasts with items stolen from God's temple, and the angry hand of God descends and places prophetic 'handwriting on the wall' regarding the king's fate, and is also from where we get that commonly used phrase.
3) Two illustrations of Ezekiel, the top from the beginning, describing the first vision of Ezekiel. The second view is of The Valley of Dry Bones, from Chapter 37.
4) A pair of scenes from Isaiah, Chapter 6.
5) Scenes from Amos (Chapter 7) and Obadiah.
6) A pair of exerpts from Hosea (Chapter 7) and Joel.
7) Scenes from Nahum and Habakuk.
8) Two dramatic renderings of punishments inflicted by God in Zephania and Haggai.
9) A scene from Jeremias, showing a scene of battle and lamentation.
10) A scene from Chapters 3-4 of the Song of Solomon.
There are some light damp stains and worming in margins.