"[Lot of 5 Road Maps]", Owen & Bowen
Subject: England & Wales
Period: 1720 (circa)
Publication: Britannia Depicta or Ogilby Improv'd…
Color: Black & White
5.3 x 7.5 inches
13.5 x 19.1 cm
Wonderful lot of tiny road maps. Both sides are filled with minutely engraved information, showing buildings, coats of arms, compass roses and much history.
1) Marlborough to Marshfield, features text on Newbury and Calne. Verso, Bristol to Axbridge, with information on the Forrest Kingwood, Hungerford, Chippenham.
2) Features Denby to Chester; on verso, Beaumaris to Holy Head.
3) Highlights Milton to Nottingham, and Mansfield to Paplewick with text and coats-of-arms. Verso shows road from Clown, Aughton, Barnsley and Rotheram.
4) This map shows the road through Lincolnshire. The verso is colored and shows the route from Lincoln to Barton, and is accented by the arms of Kingston-upon-Hull.
5) The route shown winds through Cardigan, and the verso shows Machenleth to Merionethshire.
All the maps are very sound with a little scattered foxing.