"[Lot of 6 Civil War Maps]", Virtue, Yorston & Co.
Subject: Southern United States, Civil War
Period: 1863-65 (dated)
Color: Hand Color
7 x 8 inches
17.8 x 20.3 cm
A nice set of very detailed color lithograph Civil War maps that have the engraved signature of Charles Sholl, Topl. Engineer in the lower right margin.
1) Antietam Sharpsburg and Vicinity Constructed and Engraved to Illustrate the War with the South. Shows the positions of General Lee, General McClellan and Stonewall Jackson. Edges a bit toned, else fine. Grade A.
2) Gettysburg and Vicinity…the Battles of Gettysburg July 1st, 2nd & 3rd 1863.... Shows roads, topography and the unfinished railroad to Hanover. Edges a bit toned, else fine. Grade A.
3) Vicksburg and its Defences…showing all Batteries that were in existence at the time of its fall, with the names of the owners of Plantations, &c. Contains a note stating the date that Warrenton was destroyed. A couple small spots. Edges a bit toned. Grade B+.
4) Chattanooga and its Defences…the ground on which the battles of Chickamnauga anf Ringgold were fought for the possession of the great Railroad triangle of Tennessee and Georgia.. Shows the extensive rebel fortifications around the city colored in red. Foxed. Grade B.
5) Richmond and its Defences…showing all Batteries in existence. With a note in lower margin claiming "This is the most reliable Map ever made of this vicinity." Very detailed map showing numerous forts, roads and rail lines. Edges a bit toned, else fine. Grade A.
6) Port Hudson and its Defences…shewing Earthworks &c. that were in existence at the time of its fall. This map shows the range of the port's guns nearly reaching the opposite shore of the Mississippi River. Edges a bit toned, else fine. Grade A.
See individual descriptions.