"Arx Carolina. Charles Fort, sur Floride", Aa, Pieter van der
Period: 1710 (circa)
Color: Black & White
13.8 x 11 inches
35.1 x 27.9 cm
Strong copper engraved, bird's-eye view illustrates Fort Caroline, founded in 1564, at the mouth of the (now) St. John's River. The fort is shown with its gun emplacements and the surrounding countryside is filled with cattle, Indians and colonists going about their daily chores. The harbor is filled with boats and ships. Title in ribbon style cartouche.
Light soiling and a weak area in right margin. Hinge remnants on verso with a chip in upper margin.