"[Lot of 6 - Mississippi River]", U.S. Coast Survey
Subject: United States - Central Midwest
Period: 1865 (dated)
Publication: Report…Showing the Progress…during the Year 1864.
Color: Hand Color
15 x 22 inches
38.1 x 55.9 cm
Complete and matching set of six Civil War charts show great detail along the Mississippi River. Created for use by Rear Admiral S.P. Lee's Mississippi Squadron, they cover the river from Cairo to St. Mary in Missouri. Titles include:
1) Mississippi River from Cairo Ill. To St. Marys Mo. in VI Sheets.
2) Mississippi River Sheet No. 2 - 25 to 41 miles above Cairo.
3) Mississippi River Sheet No. 3 - 41 to 61 miles above Cairo.
4) Mississippi River, Sheet No. 4 - 62 to 78 miles above Cairo.
5) Mississippi River Sheet No. 5 - 78 to 96 miles above Cairo.
6) Mississippi River Sheet No. 6 - 96 to 115 miles above Cairo.
Sizes vary slightly. The complete set is infrequently seen.
Issued folding, now pressed and backed with Japanese tissue. Toned at some folds with occasional intersection splits or fold splits. Two with paper added to binding edges to create even margins.