"[Lot of 5] Mappamondo [and] America Secondo le Ultime Osservazioni dell'Accademia Reale delle Scienze [and] Asia… [and] Africa… [and] Europa…", Buffier, Claude
Subject: World & Continents
Period: 1780 (circa)
Publication: Nuova Geografia
Color: Hand Color
7 x 5.4 inches
17.8 x 13.7 cm
Attractive group of small maps engraved by Giovanni Petroschi with charmingly outdated cartography for a later, Italian edition of Geographie Universelle. Sizes vary slightly.
1) Mappamondo is a double-hemisphere world featuring California as an island. There is a hint of a large Southern Continent.
2) America Secondo le Ultime Osservazioni dell'Accademia Reale delle Scienze is an interesting little map showing North and South America with the island of California. A large Terra Australe underlines South America. North America is divided between Florida, Nuouo Messico, and Canada Francia with the British colonies squeezed along the eastern seaboard.
3) Asia Secondo le Ultime Oservationi dell'Accademia Reale delle Scienze shows Asia with Japan noted as an island, narrowly separated from the mainland by a tiny straight between it and Terra di Vesto with the Terra della Compagnia nearby.
4) Africa Secondo le Ultime Osservazione dell'Accademia Reale delle Scienze di Parigi is a delicately engraved map of the continent featuring a simple but mostly accurate Africa with a representation of what would be Lake Chad in about the right placement and a very good depiction of the route of the Nile.
5) Europa Secondo le Ultime Osservatzioni dell Academia Reale Scienze is a simple depiction of the continent with quite a few place names and some topographic notes. One point of interest is the large, fire-spewing Mount Hekla indicated on Iceland.
Minor scattered foxing and light toning, with folds as issued.