"A Mapp of the Parish of St. Margarets Westminster, taken from the last Survey, with Corrections.", Strype, John
Period: 1720 (circa)
Publication: Stow's Survey of London
Color: Hand Color
11.6 x 13.8 inches
29.5 x 35.1 cm
This is the first detailed ward map of Westminster. St. James's Park and Buckingham House appear in the top left corner. St. Peter's Cathedral is shown in profile. The plans for this reissue of John Stow's Survey of London were probably originally engraved by Richard Blome just before his death in 1705. However, the edition took until 1720 to achieve publication and the plans required revision due to the city's rapid growth. Blome was credited in the preface but his name was erased from the plates, and can barely be seen in this cartouche.
Centerfold reinforced with paper on verso with slight toning on fold. Some pencil marking in blank margins.