"Penna. Rail Road Co's Property at West Philadelphia", Anon.
Period: 1864 (dated)
Color: Hand Color
16.5 x 12.4 inches
41.9 x 31.5 cm
This is a remarkable manuscript, pen and ink map that details the proposed railroad yard and property of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. The area depicted is east of Market Street to the Schuylkill River. The map is beautifully drawn in four colors and locates all proposed lines, Engine Houses, and other structures superimposed over existing streets. Through color the legend indicates "Streets already vacated" and those "proposed to be vacated." With some pencil changes to boundaries and a few new lines sketched in. All text on the map is beautifully lettered by a skilled hand, but there is a handwritten and signed note in ink by the Chief Engineer in Philadelphia stating that a "Copy of plan filed in office of Ch. Engr. City of Phila. August 10th 1864." The signature appears to be Wilson, so this may be John A. Wilson who was appointed chief engineer for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company on March 1, 1864. We questioned whether this rail yard was ever built, but Google maps show that, indeed, the streets were vacated and the yard was constructed and exists today. Drawn on fine linen that we understand is coated with a starch-like substance.
Couple of smudges at upper left in a blank area. Pin holes at corners outside of neatline.