"Charleroy, Ville forte des Pays Bas dans le comte de Namur…", Fer, Nicolas de
Period: 1696 (circa)
Publication: Les Forces de l' Europe…
Color: Hand Color
10.8 x 7.6 inches
27.4 x 19.3 cm
Bird's-eye plan of the extensive fortifications and batteries at Charleroi and the surrounding countryside. The fortifications were built by the Spanish in 1666 and named it Charle-roy after the Spanish king Charles II. It remained a vanguard against the imperialist French king Louis XIV until 1678 when the French took the new city and expanded it. Engraved by Herman van Look and published by Nicolas de Fer, Geographer at Louis XIV's court. He was one of the most prolific publishers of plans of European cities in the late seventeenth century.
References: Pollak #21 (illus. p. 42).
Some minor foxing in margins.