"Texas", Bradford, Thomas Gamaliel
Period: 1838 (dated)
Publication: An Illustrated Atlas…
Color: Hand Color
11 x 14.3 inches
27.9 x 36.3 cm
Early edition of this Independent Republic of Texas map that was patterned on Stephen Austin's seminal map. Shows the empresario grants, lakes, rivers, creeks, towns and Indian villages. The Old Mexican Garrison is located on the Brazos River north of Deer Creek. The border with Mexico is at the Rio de las Nueces rather than the Rio Grande. In the north the border is along the Red River. Locates and names San Antonio de Bexar, San Felipe de Austin, Sabine, St. Augustine, Nacogdoches, Zavala, Tivis, Houston, Montezuma, Waco Village, Tenoxititlan, and more. Names approximately 17 grants including Stephen F. Austin, Woodbury & Cos, Cameron's, (two separate parts), Zavalla's and Whelin's. The large region around Austin is called Austin's Colony. Included in this lot is the original two page narrative from the atlas titled "Republic of Texas." Engraved by G.W. Boynton.
References: Phillips (M) p.842; Day #32.
Map is near fine except for a couple of small spots. In lower margin, well away from map image, is a water stain and a little mold. Fine color and impression on thick paper that is supple.